Similar to the upcoming integration wth OMS, will SquaredUp be able to provide native/near-native integration with other cloud-based Monitoring solutions? Specifically AlertSite from SmartBear or New Relic. The specific use case is to be able to add a plugin in a SquaredUp dashboard that shows both the SCOM/OMS based infrastructure state but also the end user state delivered by these external monitoring solutions.
In general, external data can be pulled into your dashboards at three levels:
- UI integration (embed other web content using the Iframe / Web Content plugin)
- API integration (directly query other data sources, e.g. SQL)
- SCOM integration (pull the data into SCOM via custom management packs)
Here are a examples of how I have seen customers integrate with New Relic and AlertSite:
- New Relic works really nicely with the Web Content plugin, with its public embeddable charts. See this NewRelic doc.
- I have also seen customers pull summary data into SCOM from New Relic APIs using custom management packs that query the New Relic APIs.
- I know of at least one customer embeddeding AlertSite reports into dashboards using the Web Content plugin. As far as I know, the AlertSite reports can’t be accessed anonymously, so authentication can get in the way.
As far as API-level integration with these tools, Squared Up do plan to provide access to REST APIs but there are no specific release timelines that I can share for this at the moment.
Someone whistled to me that there is a RestAPI plugin in development. This will easier let us “integrate” with other systems. I assume we will see more to this type of integration in V3, but what do i know…