My SCOM Reporting console is blank, I’m not sure when this happened as I don’t go in there very often. I still get scheduled reports, and I can still see Report Tasks in Alert views for example. I’m just unable to create or edit reports. Any ideas? Do I have to reinstall Reporting?
To answer my own question, this was caused by a firewall between my SCOM console and the Reporting Server. D’oh!
This looks similar to something I saw once before. Mine happened when upgrading to 1801. I remember I opened a case with MS for it. I have changed jobs since then though so I can not go back and look at the solution so I am working from memory. If my memory is right I think I had to reinstall the reporting module
It’s worth checking:
- Console -> Administration->Settings -> Reporting – Check if the url points to correct path …../ReportServer and\or if it’s pointing to correct protocol: https or http
- go to the same URL and check if you can find a data source named “Data Warehouse Main”.