The 'Alias' attribute is invalid - The value '2012' is invalid according to its datatype 'ManagementPackUniqueIdentifier'

I’m seeing an issue when trying to add company knowledge for an alert raised by Tao Yang’s OpsMgr 2012 Self-Maintenance Management Pack.
When I add and attempt to save the knowledge (through Squared Up) I see the following error:

XSD verification failed for the management pack. [Line: 0, Position: 0] System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaValidationException: The 'Alias' attribute is invalid - The value '2012' is invalid according to its datatype 'ManagementPackUniqueIdentifier' - Name cannot begin with the '2' character, hexadecimal value 0x32. --->
It looks like there's an issue with the "2012" in the name of the management pack but I'm not sure how to fix this. Has anyone seen this before?
1 Like

We have had this issue before as well, it seems that Tao provides an override pack with it but some users choose to create their own override pack.

When doing this SCOM automatically adds a reference to Tao’s management pack which contains an invalid alias. After some investigation it seems that Tao has posted the following workaround. Information on this can be found here, http://blog.tyang.org/2013/03/03/opsmgr-self-maintenance-management-pack/ :

1. Export the management pack containing the overrides to the self-maintenance MP
  2. Open the .xml file in Notepad
  3. Add a reference to the self-maintenance MP inside the <References> section as follows. You’ll need to enter the version number of Tao’s pack that you’re using under the <Version> field below:

<Reference Alias=”OM12SelfMaint”>
<ID>OpsMgr.2012.Self.Maintenance</ID>
<Version>2.5.0.1</Version>
<PublicKeyToken>136b1dfd385ca82a</PublicKeyToken>
</Reference>

1. Save the file & re-import the management pack into SCOM.

I hope this helps!

1 Like