Upgrading domain controllers from 2008 to 2016 - is it better to remove and reinstall he agent?

Hi all,

as the subject says, we are replacing/upgrading our domain controllers. Afterwards, I push out the agent, by “repairing”, as the DC name hasn’t changed, therefore it is still in SCOM (2012).

I noticed that it now sees the DC as Windows server 2008, and 2016 classes.

Will this correct itself after a discovery, or am I better off uninstalling and reinstalling the agent?

Thanks

Hi,

The best practice is to uninstall the SCOM agent before upgrading the Windows Server operating system, after the upgrade has been done, reinstall the SCOM agent.

If you upgrade a computer without uninstalling the agent first and then discover duplicate objects, this is by design, so you’ll need to uninstall the agent to mark all hosted objects as deleted in the database. Next, reinstall the agent to discover existing applications/objects only

Best regards,
Leon

Thanks Leon, I was just about to come back and confirm, after testing, that this is necessary.
We now uninstall and reinstall the agent, and it works/rediscovers correctly

Glad to hear that :slight_smile:

Please don’t hesitate to mark this question as answered if the answer provided was helpful!