Upgrading to SCOM 2016 and SquaredUp3

Hi, I am interested in whether someone has experience in upgrading to SCOM 2016 and the newest version of Squaredup(V3) from SCOM 2012 R2 and SquaredUp 2.3. I want to do this as smoothly as possible and I am wondering if someone has already done this and whether they ran into any problems.

Any input is highly appreciated.

1 Like

Like Craig says make sure SCOM 2012R2 is patched up to date first, we are preparing to migrate over to 2016 soon as well so we had to do this first. I followed this guide below to go from SCOM 7.1.10226.0 to 7.1.10226.1239

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2016/09/06/ur11-for-scom-2012-r2-step-by-step/

For SquaredUp, we are currently running V2 & V3 concurrently on seperate VM’s having migrated all the V2 dashboards over to V3.

2 Likes

I have done an in-place upgrade from SCOM UR9 to SCOM 2016 with no issues. I also upgraded SQL to 2014 as well. I used the SCOM Upgrade MP to help and the only real issues I had are with a few older agents. Just remember that you have to apply UR1 as soon as you get SCOM 2016 running.

Bear in mind there is no direct upgrade path from 2.3 to 3, I would envisage you would upgrade to SCOM 2016 1st (make sure your SCOM 2012R2 is patched up to date 1st) and then migrate your 2.3 dashboards to your new v3 install.

True, what about the SCOM upgrade to 2016? Should I expect any problems? Is V3 fully compatible with SCOM 2016?

Yes, v3 is fully compatible with SCOM 2016. Assuming you’re a Squared Up customer, if you drop them a line they’ll issue you a special license with which you can test v3 before migrating your production instance (from v2 to v3)

Thank you for your reply, We’ll try out V3 and wait a bit longer before upgrading to SCOM 2016. Please let me know how your upgrade went.

Thank you, I will do just that.

Also look out so your Operating System (Management servers) are compatibel with SCOM 2016.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center-docs/system-requirements/operating-systems-compatibility