AD Topology Discovery does not run SCOM 2016

Hi,

Moving from SCOM 2012 to 2016, both environments run AD MP 10.0.2.0 but in 2016 the topology discovery doesent run. This means that domain, sites etc arent discovered.

No discovery overrides are implemented.

any ideas or should i start to investigate? I am askin the community first this time :slight_smile:

Martin

Hi,

I think you have to overwrite the “Operations Manager install path” which have the default value of the install path of ops mgr 2007.

We have also SCOM 2016 and the ADDS MP and the discovery is running.

Best wishes

after editing the path i didnt get result as proposed.

Found that installing Dot.NET 3.5 feature needed to be installed on the SCOM management server.

After reboot the topoligy was discovered and is now monitored

I havent done that in 2012, but i’ll give it a try!

In our test enviroment we have already the “new” ad ds mp and got an topology.
In our production we use the old AD MP and got now topology… I did the same overwrites but no topology …

After a little search i found this and will give a try:
The issues with the Topology Views of the Active Directory Management Pack is resolved. As part of the troubleshooting process Microsoft wanted a workflow analyzer installed on the management server, this utility needed .Network Framework 3.5 installed as part of the installation. Once this was installed all the topology views started discovering the AD objects within a few minutes. However, this was never documented anywhere in the Microsoft documentation, below is what they had as a requirement for the management server, they talk about .Net Framework 4 but not 3.5. In addition, I’m not sure as to how the installation would have proceeded with the install if all the pre-requirements weren’t met. It must be a bug or a mystery.

Management Server
• Disk space: %SYSTEMDRIVE% requires at least 1024 MB free hard disk space.
• Server Operating System: must be Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012, or Windows Server 2012 Core Installation.
• Processor Architecture: must be x64.
• Windows PowerShell version: Windows PowerShell version 2.0, or Windows PowerShell version 3.0
• Windows Remote Management: Windows Remote Management must be enabled for the management server.
• .NET Framework 4 is required. For more information, see the following document:
o.NET Framework 4 redistributable package

Hi Moji, ive tried searching my self but didnt find this., where is that sourced from? Both of our environments have the new MP installed 10.0.2.0, only 2012 discovers the topology.

We have this error in the OpsMgr Log (ADTopologyDiscovery : Cannot create System.Collection.Stack) and when i searched this i found this link:
http://www.systemcentercentral.com/forums-archive/topic/active-directory-topology-view-not-being-monitored/

But i haven’t tested it yet :wink: Just check and found that .Net3.5 is installed in our test system.

Hi Moji, I can confirm that this is the issue. In both our 2016 environments the topopogy was missing. I installed 3.5 in the test and it populated right away. This isn’t documented at all from what i can see. Only the old MP had this listed as a dependency.

Do you read the comments above? I wrote the same…