Can't create Web App availability monitor

Got a weird one. I had a test collection of http web monitors that needed to be changed to https. I changed the URIs, and although they validated correctly, the website address didn’t update within the monitors - it was still trying to check the old URIs.

I then deleted the old web app monitor and added a new one - my issue is it no longer completely creates the monitor. I’ve tried this a few times and it seems to only create a ‘Web Application Availability Monitoring Test Collection’ that never goes green; it doesn’t create the ‘Web App Monitoring Resource Pool’.

Bizarrely, i did manage to create one for Twitter, which went all the way through to being a monitored web app with a resource pool etc, but it doesn’t work for any URI that I actually want to monitor!

Any ideas or pointers where to look? I’ve tried creating the web app monitors in a different MP, with different watcher nodes with no success. I’m going to take another look at URLGenie, but it would be nice to work this one out just for my own sanity!

1 Like

It’s possible it might take a day or so before the new one could work. Delete the old one, wait 24 hours, then create the new one.

I can’t say for sure, but I remember something somewhere needed a day or so. Maybe that’s it?

1 Like

I found the solution of the problem we had in our environment.

Check out this post:

SCOM 2012 Discovery Wizard Hang / Web Application Availability Monitoring Test Time-Out

In our case it started after we changed SQL-server. We did not realise that the problem we had with webmonitoring could be connected to the change of SQL server. It was not a logical connection.

1 Like

Not having a lot of luck with this one. Strange thing is that I can set one up to monitor Twitter, but not our own website! Looking at Jasper Van Damme’s Uptime Robot & SCOM blog and Global Service Monitor as workarounds.

Besides twitter, can you monitor other websites? (eg Google). And is your website you want to monitor hosted internally on your network?

Things to check

  • Check the OpsMgr event log on that server for any clues.
  • Any firewalls or proxy servers in place that may cause issues?
  • Try putting the web test itself into maintenance mode for 10 minutes.
  • If you are using the Web Application Availability Monitoring, try using the Web Application Transaction Monitoring. (or other way around). See if it works then.

I found this:

If you have an account targeted at your domains that explains why twitter works.

1 Like

I had almost the same problem. I could not update my monitors they never got saved. I have the solution somewehere in my email. I will search now. Somewhere in my mind I think I had to create a new MP and save the monitors there.

Pretty sure this is to do with stale objects still in the database(s). There’s a PowerShell cmdlet that will do this or some SQL queries. Neither should be taken lightly. Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance - Look into it

Thanks for the suggestion, everything in that post checks out ok

Still grey after several days, but thanks for the suggestion!

I’ve run Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance previously to clear something else up - now I’m wondering if that’s what’s broken it!

Thank you so much! Turns out it was after I enabled Global Service monitor.