Creating Row Perspective for custom MP (SolarWinds)

Hi !

I tried to create a row perspective for my custom MP. First type I wanted to show is a Switch.

As suggested on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqOmikXZ5ZY I prepared the JSON in a Matrix tile. Here I am already struggling. I can’t figure out what is wrong.

JSONLint confirmed that the JSON itself is valid. I looked up the class ID via PowerShell by :

Get-ScomClass -Name “ABC.Network.SolarWinds.NPM.Switch” | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Id

{
	"_comment": "SolarWinds Switch custom perspective",
	"id": "2cbff4c2-1b44-4f44-a2cb-1d2069dc0cb1",
	"format": "row",
	"match": {
		"type": "scom/object",
		"classIds": "76dbcebc-1cae-985f-037f-50170e9aef19"
	},
	"rank": 100,
	"name": "SolarWinds Overview",
	"columns": [
		{
			"title": "State",
			"_type": "celltile/status"			
		},
		{
			"title": "IP",
			"_type": "celltile/text",
			"config": {
				"display": {
					"contentTemplate": "{{properties.AgentIP}}"
				}
			}
		},
		{
			"title": "MachineType",
					"contentTemplate": "{{properties.MachineType}}"
				}
			}
		},
		{
			"title": "LastBoot",
					"contentTemplate": "{{properties.LastBoot}}"
				}
			}
		}
	]
}

Thanks!

Ruben

Perhaps it’s important to mention : The properties are inherited.

<ClassType ID="ABC.Network.SolarWinds.NPM.Node" Accessibility="Public" Abstract="true" Base="System!System.LogicalEntity" Hosted="false" Singleton="false" Extension="false">
	<Property ID="NodeCaption" Type="string" AutoIncrement="false" Key="false" CaseSensitive="false" MaxLength="256" MinLength="0" Required="false" Scale="0" />
	<Property ID="AgentIP" Type="string" AutoIncrement="false" Key="false" CaseSensitive="false" MaxLength="256" MinLength="0" Required="false" Scale="0" />          
	<Property ID="MachineType" Type="string" AutoIncrement="false" Key="false" CaseSensitive="false" MaxLength="256" MinLength="0" Required="false" Scale="0" />  
</ClassType>

<ClassType ID="ABC.Network.SolarWinds.NPM.Switch" Accessibility="Public" Abstract="false" Base="ABC.Network.SolarWinds.NPM.Node" Hosted="false" Singleton="false" Extension="false" />

Hi Jelly,

not sure, where do I need to check on the FileSystem? I did just put the JSON into the Matrix tile, hoping something shows up.

I noticed that there is a yellow symbol in the SquaredUp frontend, indicating something is wrong.

Are there some logs that I can check to find the the reason?

Awesome, that worked!

Thanks Vyper! :slight_smile:

Have you tried the new Solarwinds MP? They updated it late last year and it seems to be pretty good. Of course I was getting an alert storm and had to uncheck several interfaces in the config wizard. :slight_smile:

Hey Ruben, just to check the basics - Is this being created on disk and have you recycled the application pool once you’ve added the file?

When you insert JSON into the Matrix tile, you should just be inserting the contents of the columns array (and the UI editor should give you feedback if what you’ve entered isn’t valid JSON, though it doesn’t check the schema).

Once the columns look good and function in the matrix tile, then you need to create a row perspective file on disk (see 34:58 in that webinar) which include the full contents you have above. As Jelly stated above if done correctly once you reload dashboard pack content (via the UI) or recycle the app pool, when creating a matrix tile and scoping to your object, you should see “Solarwinds Overview” listed as a perspective you could select, and if your rank is high enough it will be the selected default.

Worth noting btw - when configuring custom labels or row perspectives, Squared Up will lowercase the first letter of the property name. So you probably need {{properties.lastBoot}} etc.

Hi Gary,

not tried yet. Is it for free?

I am currently updating the MP. Name schemas / pattern can be then configured via Overrides and devices that are just monitored via ICMP are been made visible, too.