Hybrid Cloud webinar - the JSON definition document: How was it created?

Hi guys, just finished watching your Hybrid Cloud webinar which I found very informative. I wanted to know more about the JSON definition file you used for immediate discovery of all properties of a new system. That has been a huge challenge for me as SCOM is obviously not ideally suited to monitor systems that may be ephemeral….i.e. systems that may be auto-scaled up or down depending on workload.

The method you demo’d in the webinar looks like it could address that problem. How was the definition file created? Is that something you have to create manually? Have you tested that on Unix/Linux systems? -for an example a system running AWS Linux? In my organization we have a very large number of workloads that run in AWS on AWS Linux.

Richard talks about it briefly in the webinar at 25:53 - the tool can be pointed at an existing instance (he says VM in the video, I assume he’s referring to the VM object in SCOM) and will generate JSON from that. After that you can either modify the output if you cloned the test/dev or UAT version of the app, or turn it into a template you can re-use for deployments of that app in the future.

Hey Wilson, Richard S @ Squared Up here. Thanks for reaching out on this and I’ll pop you a line tomorrow to pick this up with you privately. Anyone else interested in this topic, please feel free to drop us a line via the usual hello@ email address, we’d love to hear from you