Migrating from SCOM2012 to 2016 -can dashboards be migrated between environments?

I am in the process of migrating from SCOM2012 SP1 to SCOM2016. The SCOM2016 is an all new environment. I did not upgrade the existing SCOM environment nor did I migrate the SCOM operational database or data warehouse over.

If I try migrating my SquaredUp dashboards from the old environment to the new one, will that even work? The system names will obviously be the same but the back-end SCOM databases are completely different.

I think that will greatly depend on the way the various sections of the dashboards are setup. If something is tied directly to a SCOM-ID then I doubt that those sections will function properly but anything that is pulling from a monitor type or object type will work, as well as hostname based sections.

For example, a dashboard that pulls all disks from any windows computers that are above 95% full should work. It isn’t looking at something “hard coded”, but a dashboard specifically pulling from an object with SCOM-ID 32458574 wouldn’t work as that ID will either not exist or be a different object than before.

I hope this helps, and good luck on your upgrade!

-Chris

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I figured but I just wanted to make sure. Thx!

Can confirm that Chris’s response is correct. IDs for objects and groups will be different in each.