Populate (ServiceNow) CMDB from SCOM

Has anyone used the data in SCOM to populate their CMDB - preferably in ServiceNow? Any advice, tips, greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Should SCOM be the source for the CMDB, or should CfgMgr? I would think that SCOM data would only be useful for Operations.

Full disclosure - we haven’t integrated yet, but our plan is to use CfgMgr for the SN CMDB and use SCOM for “alerts and Operational Intelligence raw data” - according to SN’s propaganda.

1 Like

It would seem to me that SCCM would be a better source for your CMDB since SCCM can automatically update it’s data (software inventory) while SCOM is only as good as what you put in it. It’s a constant challenge keeping distributed applications current in SCOM as environments change. But perhaps if you have rock-solid business processes in place to keep all of that current then this isn’t an issue for you….

1 Like

From my perspective, if you compare SCCM and SCOM data in each it’s ootb functionalities, you have different areas covered. SCCM is very strong in covering Hardware and OS information, whereas SCOM covers more on the application side. And yes, SCOM does automatically and dynamically update it’s data via discoveries, and yes SCOM is a legitimate source for a central CMDB because of the quality of data, that is one important fact here, too.

I know of scenarios where customers do collect and monitor their configuration data for large Services with SCOM and not SCCM.

Neither of the 2 do automatic Service discoveries, though there are some ways to achieve that at some point.

It’s a good question. We have got SCCM, but for various political reasons we’re not using it for servers. Most of our infrastructure is in SCOM though, and the data we can see in SqUp’s Monitored Entity perspective is a lot more accurate than that which has been manually entered into ServiceNow and not always kept up to date.

Lol, sounds like my leadership and your leadership need to hang out because we have > the exact opposite political issue < SCCM everywhere (patching, compliance) and SCOM in the Datacenters only (leaving about 1/3 of the environment PING/Only).