SCOM and Service Manager

Hi,

We are taking a first look to service manager and how it works together with scom. We have to make a CI connector to scom to get all items in de CMDB from service manager. Is there a way to import all management packs from scom into service manager and sync them or do we have to do this manually? I was thinking of management packs created for applications. When you add a extra object to this applications, do you need to import the MP again in Service Manager or is there a way to let them sync?

Kind regards,

Luc

Hi Luc

If you don’t yet have Service Manager deployed then I would ask what you are going to use it for and to consider how much time you want to invest in a solution that hasn’t seen much product development in recent years. Given the amount of time and effort it takes to configure and, more importantly, customise I would look to ensure that it has the longevity you want \ need.

Definitely try and have a chat to your Microsoft Account Manager and confirm with them the road map for Service Manager and perhaps ask about what new functionality they have planned.

Cheers

Graham

1 Like

Well MS did just release 1807 for SCSM last week so I don’t think it is going anywhere soon.

I’d agree - I don’t think it is going anywhere. 1807 adds support for SQL 2017 … what else?

1801 … offers an enhanced evaluation experience of 180 days … wow. And a few bug fixes.

Other peoples thoughts:

http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/2017/07/mobile-firstcloud-first-strategy-how_20.html

At the end of the day I 'm happy to be wrong. I’d just be careful about investing 6 - 12 months delivering and customising a service management solution on SCSM. It depends what the original poster is looking to do with SCSM.

Cheers

Graham

1 Like

First, we want service manager to use as a cmdb and maybe later for knowledge articles connected to the CI’s.

To get the CI’s from SCOM objects into service manager, we need to import scom management packs into service manager, but when we edit a management pack in scom for a specific application, we need to re-import that into service manager.

Is there a way to sync the management packs between scom and service manager or do I always have to do the import?

Kind regards,

Luc