Web Displays of all monitored devices

Feel free to skip to the bold if tl:dr

Hello all, I’ve started a new position at a fairly large company in which someone left the company rather unexpectedly so I’m sort of having to learn on the fly. I’m working on building this with PowerShell but thought I’d check here to make sure I’m not reinventing the wheel here. I was wondering if there is a quick(ish) way to pull all of the data for all of the devices we monitor (SCOM Windows/Linux devices/ping devices from OpsLogix) and display it on a web page. We’d like it to be searchable and show a count of how many devices we actually monitor. I think we’re going to need to do a large audit soon. We’re inheriting quite the mess :confused:

I think I sort of have figured out how to display the monitored devices with:

Get-SCOMAgent -ComputerName “$our scom server$”

But the biggest hurdle I’m finding and not seeing any doc for is how to pull and display the Opslogix devices.

So my question to you fine folks is: Is there an easier way of displaying all of the devices we monitor across all our SCOM environments? (or at least being able to search a web page to see what’s monitored and show an overall count)

We also need to add a little bit of our own information, hopefully pulled from Service Now, matching the Configuration Item/Name of the device. If Service Now integration is already available that’d be amazing!

If not, is there a way of pulling the data from the Opslogix devices and displaying it?

Thank you!

Hey @sraisbeck - Welcome to the community!

Let me introduce you to another couple of cmdlets:

get-scomclass and get-scomclassinstance

Using these two in combination will likely gather what you need. First, use get-scomclass to find the OpsLogix class that you need, then pipe it into get-scomclassinstance to display the objects. Example below for Windows Computer Obejects:

get-scomclass -name microsoft.windows.computer | Get-SCOMClassInstance

Then it’s just a case of playing with the returned data to display what you need.

More info on the SCOM shell here: Using Operations Manager Shell | Microsoft Docs

You mention multiple SCOM environments… For this, you can perform a foreach to connect to each MG and collect the data. Word of advice though - Multiple MGs = LOTS OF DATA! You might want to consider doing this outside of a dashboard on an interval (once a day perhaps) and exporting to a CSV, then have the dashboard read the CSV.

As for your ServiceNow question, there’s the ability to pair the properties discovered by SCOM (DisplayName for example) in the query to SNOW. Are you using SquaredUp for SCOM? If so, then creating a SNOW tile on a perspective for Computer objects gets a pretty fast return on time spent to create it.

Hi there! Thank you for the welcome! I kind of stumbled upon the support part of this site before realizing that SquaredUp is a different thing that we’re for sure not currently paying for and with all of the movement in my company right now there’s no way I could get them to :confused:

So you’re totally under no obligation to help me further! That being said, I’m not getting anything back when I’m trying to pull the OpsLogix data - going to see if it’s something on my end though because I’m very new to this haha.

We totally want it to run once a day and populate into a CSV, you’re absolutely correct! Is there a good guide somewhere for pulling this data? I’m trying to learn SCOM and Powershell on the fly xD I seem to be able to (kinda) get our Windows servers but haven’t figured out how to pull just about everything yet.

I really appreciate your help!

Of course you’re welcome to grab a 30 day trial, install and show off what amazing visualisations you can achieve with SquaredUp on SCOM … probably win them over in a heartbeat :angel:

Hey,

This is a community site, not only SquaredUp, so feel free to ask away all the questions!

If you’re new to SCOM I think it’s going to take you some time and trial and error to get exactly what you want. Jelly has given you a great starter command, now all you have to do is replace the class names with the ones you want - this is the part that might confuse you the most - at least for the time being.

With get-scomagent you’ll get all the agents - windows or otherwise.

@sraisbeck, you mentioned that you are new to SCOM, so I’m going to assume you have access to the SCOM console? An easy trick to validate if there is data is to “look” at the contents of a class with the Discovered Inventory node in your Monitoring pane in the SCOM console.

I don’t have any OpsLogix devices in my management group, but here’s a screen capture of my SCOM Console showing the OpsLogix Ping management pack.

As you can see, I have 7 objects in the Source Host class.

The benefit of using this view is that you can quickly look at the classes to determine if there is any data. If the view is empty, there is no data. That should help determine if your code is the problem or if SCOM isn’t collecting any data.

Hey @sraisbeck,

The others seem to have covered your immediate question, so I just thought I’d chip in with some resources that I’ve found useful over the years:

Kevin Holman - Very little about SCOM that Kevin hasn’t blogged about at some point!
20 Operations Manager tips in 20 minutes - Squared Up did a great blog on getting the most out of your SCOM estate quickly.
SCOM - Alert Basics - Leon Laude was a pretty prolific SCOM blogger/commentator and this is his article on alert basics
SCOMathon Content Hub - SCOMathon has delivered many great SCOM webinars and the content hub is the place to find them
TopQore blog - Bob Cornelissen is another prolific SCOM blogger that has a number of tips and tricks up his sleeve!
Nathan Gau - Alert Management - Focuses on SCOM security but also has some very thorough SCOM articles

1 Like